timed free-writing task

Author
michele
Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)Respected Member (485 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello--
I'm trying to figure out how to design an openended response widow that will allow particpants to write creatively for ten minutes, and ten minutes only, with the next measure appearing automatically after the ten minute interval.
So far, I have been able to set the duration of the response window using Trialduration or Timeout, however the problem is that the words that have been typed into the window are not recorded by Inquisit.
So, is there any way for the repsonse window to be time-controlled AND data safely recorded with no ENTER response from the participant?
I'm a grad student working on my first script, so I'm hoping that I can draw on the collective experience of others in solving this puzzle.
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. THANKS! [:)]

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Michele,

several months ago we've been trying to do a similar thing at our lab. Sadly, there's no straightforward way to do this in Inquisit (as far as I know). The openended answers will only be recorded if there's some kind of "enter" response by the participants. However, I've come up with a way to provide participants with information about the elapsed time, so that they can finish and enter their response before the task times out. If you email me I'll be happy to provide you with the script.

Cheers!
~Dave

Jacob Anthony
Jacob Anthony
Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)
Dave - Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Hi Michele,

several months ago we've been trying to do a similar thing at our lab. Sadly, there's no straightforward way to do this in Inquisit (as far as I know). The openended answers will only be recorded if there's some kind of "enter" response by the participants. However, I've come up with a way to provide participants with information about the elapsed time, so that they can finish and enter their response before the task times out. If you email me I'll be happy to provide you with the script.

Cheers!
~Dave

Hi there Dave!

This post response is from several years ago but I hope your script offer still applies. I'm trying to do something similar. I'm designing a study where participants will be randomly assigned to 1 of 3 conditions. In any one of the conditions, the participant will be asked to think about something and then spend 5 minutes writing about it. Once the 5 minutes are up, they will be given the Navon task. I believe the script you describe above might be what I need for my conditions. If so, would it be possible to get that script from you so I can review? If not, could  you recommend a way to accomplish what I've described?

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thank you!
Jacob Anthony

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Jacob Anthony - Saturday, April 22, 2017
Hi Michele,

Cheers!
~Dave

Hi there Dave!

This post response is from several years ago but I hope your script offer still applies. I'm trying to do something similar. I'm designing a study where participants will be randomly assigned to 1 of 3 conditions. In any one of the conditions, the participant will be asked to think about something and then spend 5 minutes writing about it. Once the 5 minutes are up, they will be given the Navon task. I believe the script you describe above might be what I need for my conditions. If so, would it be possible to get that script from you so I can review? If not, could  you recommend a way to accomplish what I've described?

Thank you!
Jacob Anthony

The script referenced in this thread is obsolete. You should  be able to set this up using a simple <openended> trial element, configured like so:

<block freewritingblock>
/ trials = [1=freewriting]
</block>

<openended freewriting>
/ stimulusframes = [1=writingprompt, countdownclock]
/ size = (90%, 80%)
/ charlimit = 10000
/ position = (50%, 90%)
/ multiline = true
/ buttonlabel = "The task will automatically move on when time is up."
/ timeout = 300000
/ isvalidresponse = [openended.freewriting.latency>=300000]
</openended>

<text writingprompt>
/ items = ("Please write down your thoughts below.")
/ position = (50%, 5%)
</text>

<clock countdownclock>
/ mode = timer
/ timeout = 300000
/ position = (90%, 5%)
</clock>

This script should work under both Inquisit 4 and 5. If you need to run it under Inquisit 3, remove the <clock>.

Edited 7 Years Ago by Dave
Jacob Anthony
Jacob Anthony
Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)Respected Member (348 reputation)
Dave - Monday, April 24, 2017
Jacob Anthony - Saturday, April 22, 2017
Hi Michele,

Cheers!
~Dave

Hi there Dave!

Thank you!
Jacob Anthony

The script referenced in this thread is obsolete. You should  be able to set this up using a simple <openended> trial element, configured like so:

<block freewritingblock>
/ trials = [1=freewriting]
</block>

<openended freewriting>
/ stimulusframes = [1=writingprompt, countdownclock]
/ size = (90%, 80%)
/ charlimit = 10000
/ position = (50%, 90%)
/ multiline = true
/ buttonlabel = "The task will automatically move on when time is up."
/ timeout = 300000
/ isvalidresponse = [openended.freewriting.latency>=300000]
</openended>

<text writingprompt>
/ items = ("Please write down your thoughts below.")
/ position = (50%, 5%)
</text>

<clock countdownclock>
/ mode = timer
/ timeout = 300000
/ position = (90%, 5%)
</clock>

This script should work under both Inquisit 4 and 5. If you need to run it under Inquisit 3, remove the <clock>.

Awesome! I'll give it a shot.

Thank you!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search