Issue with transitioning between /blocks

Author
Nathan Kearns
Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)Partner Member (584 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

For our experiments, participants first complete several questionnaires, then are presented with 1) a three minute waiting period (i.e., Waiting); 2) instructions for the task (i.e. HypeInstruct); 3) a three minute video stimuli (i.e. HypeVideo); 4) a seven minute recovery period (i.e. Recovery). However, when we run the syntax, Inquisit will transition nicely between the waiting period to the task instructions, then nicely from the task instructions to the task video.... but, after the video is complete, it does not transition into the recovery instructions. Instead, it appears to "freeze" on the end of the video. Any thoughts?

<Block HypeTask>

/trials = [1 = Waiting; 2= HypeInstruct; 3 = HypeVideo, 4 =Recovery]

</block>

<surveypage Waiting>

/fontstyle = ("Times New Roman", 25pt)

/caption = "Please remain seated during this waitingperiod, instructions will appear shortly"

/showpagenumbers = false

/showbackbutton=false

/nextbuttonposition = (-10%,-10%)

/showquestionnumbers = false

/timeout = 180000

</surveypage>

<surveypage HypeInstruct>

/caption = "In this challenge, you will be asked tobreathe in and breathe out at full capacity. The instructions will tell youwhen you should inhale and when you should exhale. Simply breathe in when askedto “inhale,” and breathe out when asked to “exhale” – making each breath in asdeep as possible and each breath out as forceful as possible.

It is important that you follow these instructions as bestas you can, and continue the exercise until you are asked to stop and rest.

If you have any questions, please knock on the table now anda researcher will be with you. Otherwise, once you are ready press‘Begin’."

/nextlabel = "Begin"

/finishlabel = "Begin"

/nextbuttonposition = (85%, 85%)

/showpagenumbers = false

/showbackbutton=false

</surveypage>

<trial HypeVideo>

/stimulustimes = [1=HypeVideo]

/timeout= 0

</trial>

<Video HypeVideo>

/items = ("Videos/HypeVideo.avi")

/playthrough = true

/size = (1500px,1500px)

/position = (50,50)

</video>

<surveypage Recovery>

/caption = "Please remain seated during this waitingperiod, instructions will appear shortly."

/timeout = 420000

/nextbuttonposition = (-10,10)

/showpagenumbers = false

/showbackbutton=false

</surveypage>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Nathan Kearns - Thursday, April 6, 2017

For our experiments, participants first complete several questionnaires, then are presented with 1) a three minute waiting period (i.e., Waiting); 2) instructions for the task (i.e. HypeInstruct); 3) a three minute video stimuli (i.e. HypeVideo); 4) a seven minute recovery period (i.e. Recovery). However, when we run the syntax, Inquisit will transition nicely between the waiting period to the task instructions, then nicely from the task instructions to the task video.... but, after the video is complete, it does not transition into the recovery instructions. Instead, it appears to "freeze" on the end of the video. Any thoughts?

<Block HypeTask>

</block>

<surveypage Waiting>

/caption = "Please remain seated during this waitingperiod, instructions will appear shortly"

/showpagenumbers = false

/showbackbutton=false

/nextbuttonposition = (-10%,-10%)

/timeout = 180000

</surveypage>

<surveypage HypeInstruct>

/caption = "In this challenge, you will be asked tobreathe in and breathe out at full capacity. The instructions will tell youwhen you should inhale and when you should exhale. Simply breathe in when askedto “inhale,” and breathe out when asked to “exhale” – making each breath in asdeep as possible and each breath out as forceful as possible.

It is important that you follow these instructions as bestas you can, and continue the exercise until you are asked to stop and rest.

If you have any questions, please knock on the table now anda researcher will be with you. Otherwise, once you are ready press‘Begin’."

/nextlabel = "Begin"

/finishlabel = "Begin"

/nextbuttonposition = (85%, 85%)

/showpagenumbers = false

/showbackbutton=false

</surveypage>

<trial HypeVideo>

/stimulustimes = [1=HypeVideo]

/timeout= 0

</trial>

<Video HypeVideo>

/items = ("Videos/HypeVideo.avi")

/playthrough = true

/size = (1500px,1500px)

/position = (50,50)

</video>

<surveypage Recovery>

/caption = "Please remain seated during this waitingperiod, instructions will appear shortly."

/timeout = 420000

/nextbuttonposition = (-10,10)

/showpagenumbers = false

/showbackbutton=false

</surveypage>

<Block HypeTask>

</block>

There is a syntax mistake in the above. The separator to use is ";" (semicolon), not "," (comma), i.e. this needs to read

<Block HypeTask>
/trials = [1 = Waiting; 2= HypeInstruct; 3 = HypeVideo; 4 =Recovery]

</block>

With that fixed the code runs fine for me (although I obviously had to plug in a different video file since I don't have yours).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search