Subliminal Priming - Request help setting time parameters for Prime Image

Subliminal Priming - Request help setting time parameters for Prime...
Author
patkelly2000
Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello. So, I have zero experience with coding and I am doing the best that I can to use the Subliminal Priming Procedure (Bona Fide) by Dr. Katja Borchert as a framework for creating a subliminal priming task using an image prime. Dr. Borchert uses text primes, however, I would like to use image primes and I do not know how to set it so that the image disappears after a certain amount of time (ex. 100ms) before the mask, then target prime appear. Right now I have gotten the image to show up, but it remains on screen as the rest of the process unfolds. I am hoping that someone with coding experience can help me figure out if I have programmed this script correctly.

Gratefully,
Patrick Kelly

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
patkelly2000 - 6/15/2022
Hello. So, I have zero experience with coding and I am doing the best that I can to use the Subliminal Priming Procedure (Bona Fide) by Dr. Katja Borchert as a framework for creating a subliminal priming task using an image prime. Dr. Borchert uses text primes, however, I would like to use image primes and I do not know how to set it so that the image disappears after a certain amount of time (ex. 100ms) before the mask, then target prime appear. Right now I have gotten the image to show up, but it remains on screen as the rest of the process unfolds. I am hoping that someone with coding experience can help me figure out if I have programmed this script correctly.

Gratefully,
Patrick Kelly

(1) You need to use <picture> elements, not <image> elements. The latter are for use on surveypages only.
(2) Erasing stimuli is detailed in the documentation: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/howto/howtoerase.htm
It works the same way, no matter whether you are dealing with <text> or <picture> stimuli.
(3) You'll want to work through the subliminal priming tutorial in the documentation, pay particular attention to how the trials are set up:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/tutorials/subliminal/subliminalcreatingtrials.htm

Edited 2 Years Ago by Dave
patkelly2000
patkelly2000
Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)Associate Member (253 reputation)
Dave - 6/15/2022
patkelly2000 - 6/15/2022

Gratefully,
Patrick Kelly

(1) You need to use <picture> elements, not <image> elements. The latter are for use on surveypages only.
(2) Erasing stimuli is detailed in documentation: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/howto/howtoerase.htm
It works the same way, not matter whether it's <text> or <picture> stimuli.
(3) You'll want to work through the subliminal priming tutorial in the documentation, pay particular attention to how the trials are set up:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/tutorials/subliminal/subliminalcreatingtrials.htm

Thank you for your help! :)
patkelly2000
patkelly2000
I followed the steps and came up with the error: ""item.primes.item(values.selectprime1)' Expression contains an invalid identifier"

I changed:
<item primes>
/1 = "Metapod"
/2 = "Shelder"
</item>

<text prime1>
/items = primes
/select = values.selectprime1
/ fontstyle = ("Courier New", parameters.fontheight, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = white
/txbgcolor = black
/position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

to

<picture primes>
/ items = ("BLM_Prime.jpg")
/ items = ("Neutral_Prime.jpg")
</picture>

<picture prime1>
/items = ("BLM_Prime.jpg")
/position = (50%, 50%)
</picture>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
patkelly2000 - 6/15/2022
I followed the steps and came up with the error: ""item.primes.item(values.selectprime1)' Expression contains an invalid identifier"

I changed:
<item primes>
/1 = "Metapod"
/2 = "Shelder"
</item>

<text prime1>
/items = primes
/ fontstyle = ("Courier New", parameters.fontheight, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = white
/txbgcolor = black
/position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

to

<picture primes>
/ items = ("BLM_Prime.jpg")
/ items = ("Neutral_Prime.jpg")
</picture>

<picture prime1>
/items = ("BLM_Prime.jpg")
/position = (50%, 50%)
</picture>

Well, don't. You removed the <item> element referenced in the error and there is no reason to remove it. You shouldn't. The correct way of going from

<item primes>
/1 = "Metapod"
/2 = "Shelder"
</item>

<text prime1>
/items = primes
/ txcolor = white
/txbgcolor = black
/position = (50%, 50%)
</text>

to something that uses picture stimuli instread is

<item primes>
/ 1 = "BLM_Prime.jpg"
/ 2 = "Neutral_Prime.jpg"
</picture>

<picture prime1>
/items = primes
/position = (50%, 50%)
</picture>

Before you make any further changes, please take the time to read the programmer's manual:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/Inquisit%20Programmer's%20Manual.pdf

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search