Issue with two-part session

Author
hsmartin
Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi! We just had a participant complete the first session of our batch script, which typically has two tasks/data files linked. Somehow, there was an issue that led her to only view/complete the first task/data file. We only have one active experiment allowed at a time, but we're wondering if there's a way to make up for this snafu by sending her a link that directly brings her to the second task in the session? Please let me know if this is confusing or if there is any other information I can provide that would help. One thing we tried was restarting the session and drawing the backward/mirrored Z to skip through the first task, but somehow she still was unable to view the second task after she skipped through the first ask. Thank you so much.

Best,
Heather
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Hi! We just had a participant complete the first session of our batch script, which typically has two tasks/data files linked. Somehow, there was an issue that led her to only view/complete the first task/data file. We only have one active experiment allowed at a time, but we're wondering if there's a way to make up for this snafu by sending her a link that directly brings her to the second task in the session? Please let me know if this is confusing or if there is any other information I can provide that would help. One thing we tried was restarting the session and drawing the backward/mirrored Z to skip through the first task, but somehow she still was unable to view the second task after she skipped through the first ask. Thank you so much.

Best,
Heather

Please have the participant provide the log from the Inquisit app on their device to you and then please pass it on to me. To access the log, open the Inquisit app, go to the "Tests" tab, and click / tap "Log" in the upper right corner of the screen.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

Please have the participant provide the log from the Inquisit app on their device to you and then please pass it on to me. To access the log, open the Inquisit app, go to the "Tests" tab, and click / tap "Log" in the upper right corner of the screen.

> One thing we tried was restarting the session and drawing the backward/mirrored Z to skip through the first task, but somehow she still was unable to view the second task after she skipped through the first task.

I've looked at what I believe to be the the data file from that attempt, and the data file indicates the command issued was the "abort the entire batch of scripts" command -- i.e. drawing a Z across the screen with two fingers, not the "abort just the currently running script" command -- drawing a backwards Z across the screen with two fingers.

That would explain why the 2nd task was not run in that instance.

hsmartin
hsmartin
Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)
Dave - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

> One thing we tried was restarting the session and drawing the backward/mirrored Z to skip through the first task, but somehow she still was unable to view the second task after she skipped through the first task.

I've looked at what I believe to be the the data file from that attempt, and the data file indicates the command issued was the "abort the entire batch of scripts" command -- i.e. drawing a Z across the screen with two fingers, not the "abort just the currently running script" command -- drawing a backwards Z across the screen with two fingers.

Thanks so much for your quick response. That is the correct data file/attempt - is there any way to send the participant (subject ID 007) a link to that specific task rather than to that general session? I'm not able to easily find the participant to ask for the log info. 
Dave
Dave
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

Thanks so much for your quick response. That is the correct data file/attempt - is there any way to send the participant (subject ID 007) a link to that specific task rather than to that general session? I'm not able to easily find the participant to ask for the log info. 

> is there any way to send the participant (subject ID 007) a link to that specific task rather than to that general session?

Not without making modifications to either the batch script(s) or the online study. Are you running any other participants concurrently or is the participant in question the only one who would access the study within, say, the next hour or so?

hsmartin
hsmartin
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

> is there any way to send the participant (subject ID 007) a link to that specific task rather than to that general session?

Not without making modifications to either the batch script(s) or the online study. Are you running any other participants concurrently or is the participant in question the only one who would access the study within, say, the next hour or so?

Thanks so much again for your quick response. No other participants will be using the app until Tuesday. 
Dave
Dave
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

Thanks so much again for your quick response. No other participants will be using the app until Tuesday. 

Then things should be straightforward. Go into your web experiment's settings and change the start script to be just that one task you need the participant to complete. I.e.

and then click "Save". Have them use the same link as before, it'll only launch the IAT script. Once the participant has successfully launched, you can switch the start script back to the main batch script.

hsmartin
hsmartin
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

Then things should be straightforward. Go into your web experiment's settings and change the start script to be just that one task you need the participant to complete. I.e.

and then click "Save". Have them use the same link as before, it'll only launch the IAT script. Once the participant has successfully launched, you can switch the start script back to the main batch script.

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much - this is so incredibly helpful! I am a bit confused, because after I saved the IAT as the new start script, I asked the participant to use the link again. About two hours ago, I heard back from them that they re-tried it and completed it. On my end, I don't see any new IAT data saved under any of the sessions - it doesn't seem to appear in the participant log or in the data folder. Is it possible that somehow the data didn't save? It does look like the link was launched again.

Also, the participant (007) is automatically shown above my test (hmtest), which makes me think they did re-try the link recently. Is there anything that could account for this, or anywhere else I should be looking for the IAT data? Thank you so much again.
Dave
Dave
hsmartin - 12/24/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much - this is so incredibly helpful! I am a bit confused, because after I saved the IAT as the new start script, I asked the participant to use the link again. About two hours ago, I heard back from them that they re-tried it and completed it. On my end, I don't see any new IAT data saved under any of the sessions - it doesn't seem to appear in the participant log or in the data folder. Is it possible that somehow the data didn't save? It does look like the link was launched again.

Also, the participant (007) is automatically shown above my test (hmtest), which makes me think they did re-try the link recently. Is there anything that could account for this, or anywhere else I should be looking for the IAT data? Thank you so much again.

You don't need to guess whether the participant relaunched, you can see it right there in the logs if you expand the event timeline:

So yes they did relaunch shortly before 10PM (UTC). The license check is the first thing the app does. After that, there's been nothing more from the client device, no data upload or finishpage hit. Why? Could be several reasons: The device lost connectivity. Or the participant disabled automatic data file upload. Or the participant closed the app before it could upload data and/or redirect to the finish page.

In any case, if the participant did indeed complete the IAT, the data files reside on their device until such time they can be uploaded. I.e., the device needs to have internet connectivity and the Inquisit app must be running. Have the participant open the app on their device and go to the "Data" tab. Any not yet uploaded data files will be listed there. Have them double-check that the "Automatic Upload " box at the top is checked. They can also manually trigger the files' upload by tapping on the "Cloud Upload" button in the upper right corner on the "Data" tab.

hsmartin
hsmartin
Dave - 12/24/2022
hsmartin - 12/24/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
Dave - 12/23/2022
hsmartin - 12/23/2022

Best,
Heather

Hi Dave,

You don't need to guess whether the participant relaunched, you can see it right there in the logs if you expand the event timeline:

So yes they did relaunch shortly before 10PM (UTC). The license check is the first thing the app does. After that, there's been nothing more from the client device, no data upload or finishpage hit. Why? Could be several reasons: The device lost connectivity. Or the participant disabled automatic data file upload. Or the participant closed the app before it could upload data and/or redirect to the finish page.

In any case, if the participant did indeed complete the IAT, the data files reside on their device until such time they can be uploaded. I.e., the device needs to have internet connectivity and the Inquisit app must be running. Have the participant open the app on their device and go to the "Data" tab. Any not yet uploaded data files will be listed there. Have them double-check that the "Automatic Upload " box at the top is checked. They can also manually trigger the files' upload by tapping on the "Cloud Upload" button in the upper right corner on the "Data" tab.

That makes sense and is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much. Happy Holidays!!!

Heather
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search