Data upload for one participant

Author
hsmartin
Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there!

I have a question about some of the data we've received from one of our participants. It seems that we have had data issues for two of this participant's sessions, though it sounds like everything seemed fine on the participant's end.

For the first issue, during session ID 4, the participant doesn't appear to have any data files. It's also odd because I don't see the typical "LicenseQuery" event. Any ideas on what could've happened?

For the second issue, during session ID 6, the participant appears to have two data files saved for the same session. I wondered if this was because I asked the participant to manually go to the data tab and click cloud upload after completing the session (I thought this might help with uploading data for session ID 4), but now I'm not sure what to do with the two files. The two files also appear to be different, so it's not that it just got duplicated - any ideas on which one is the "real" one or how it could've occurred that two files were created?

I'm sure there's important information that I'm leaving out - please let me know if there is anything that would be helpful to include!

As always, I am so incredibly grateful for your help. I really appreciate it - thank you so much!
Heather
Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
hsmartin - 1/25/2023
Hi there!

I have a question about some of the data we've received from one of our participants. It seems that we have had data issues for two of this participant's sessions, though it sounds like everything seemed fine on the participant's end.

For the first issue, during session ID 4, the participant doesn't appear to have any data files. It's also odd because I don't see the typical "LicenseQuery" event. Any ideas on what could've happened?

For the second issue, during session ID 6, the participant appears to have two data files saved for the same session. I wondered if this was because I asked the participant to manually go to the data tab and click cloud upload after completing the session (I thought this might help with uploading data for session ID 4), but now I'm not sure what to do with the two files. The two files also appear to be different, so it's not that it just got duplicated - any ideas on which one is the "real" one or how it could've occurred that two files were created?

I'm sure there's important information that I'm leaving out - please let me know if there is anything that would be helpful to include!

As always, I am so incredibly grateful for your help. I really appreciate it - thank you so much!
Heather

No license query event means the participant didn't actually launch the experiment, typically because the app wasn't (yet) installed. The license query is the first action performed by the app.

From the logs, it looks like this is what happend with session #4:
(1) The participant clicked the link for session #4, i.e. https://redacted.url?subjectid=009&groupid=1&sessionid=4
(2) Participants browser still had the tab from the previous session #3 open, or re-opened that tab (which browsers can be configured to do and many browsers do by default).
(3) Participant launched from the session #3 tab.

With respect to session #6: It appears that, shortly after completing session #5, the participant launched the next session directly via the app (i.e. not via link / the launch page). I suspect this happend while clicking around in the app in search of the data tab. The participant then appears to have terminated the session after a few minutes, by killing the app (swiping it off-screen). The resulting data file is thus incomplete and it was not uploaded at that point (because the app was closed). This is the data file with the following date & time logged:

Shortly thereafter, the participant launched session #6  normally (via link & launch page) and completed the session fully. At this point, both the complete data file as well the previous, incomplete data file were uploaded. The complete data file is the one with the following date & time logged:

hsmartin
hsmartin
Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)Respected Member (418 reputation)
Dave - 1/25/2023
hsmartin - 1/25/2023
Hi there!

Heather

No license query event means the participant didn't actually launch the experiment, typically because the app wasn't (yet) installed. The license query is the first action performed by the app.

(1) The participant clicked the link for session #4, i.e. https://redacted.url?subjectid=009&groupid=1&sessionid=4
(2) Participants browser still had the tab from the previous session #3 open, or re-opened that tab (which browsers can be configured to do and many browsers do by default).

With respect to session #6: It appears that, shortly after completing session #5, the participant launched the next session directly via the app (i.e. not via link / the launch page). I suspect this happend while clicking around in the app in search of the data tab. The participant then appears to have terminated the session after a few minutes, by killing the app (swiping it off-screen). The resulting data file is thus incomplete and it was not uploaded at that point (because the app was closed). This is the data file with the following date & time logged:

Shortly thereafter, the participant launched session #6  normally (via link & launch page) and completed the session fully. At this point, both the complete data file as well the previous, incomplete data file were uploaded. The complete data file is the one with the following date & time logged:

Hi Dave,

This is so incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for explaining this. To avoid the error with session #4 (and the tabs being re-opened in the browser or already being opened), would it help for the participants to copy and paste the session link into a new tab? Or to make sure that they close the launch tab on their browser after completing the session?

I tried sending the pt the following message: "Before starting your session, please open Chrome (or your phone’s default web browser) and ensure that any previous Inquisit/Millisecond tabs are closed" - should that solve it?

Thanks so much!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
hsmartin - 1/27/2023
Dave - 1/25/2023
hsmartin - 1/25/2023
Hi there!

Heather

Hi Dave,

This is so incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for explaining this. To avoid the error with session #4 (and the tabs being re-opened in the browser or already being opened), would it help for the participants to copy and paste the session link into a new tab? Or to make sure that they close the launch tab on their browser after completing the session?

I tried sending the pt the following message: "Before starting your session, please open Chrome (or your phone’s default web browser) and ensure that any previous Inquisit/Millisecond tabs are closed" - should that solve it?

Thanks so much!

> would it help for the participants to copy and paste the session link into a new tab? Or to make sure that they close the launch tab on their browser after completing the session?

Either should do the trick.
hsmartin
hsmartin
Dave - 1/27/2023
hsmartin - 1/27/2023
Dave - 1/25/2023
hsmartin - 1/25/2023
Hi there!

Heather

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much!

> would it help for the participants to copy and paste the session link into a new tab? Or to make sure that they close the launch tab on their browser after completing the session?

Either should do the trick.

Wonderful! Thank you so much.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search