Single IAT

Author
Sher
posted Last Year HOT
Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I am creating a Single IAT for one of my projects. I do not want my participants to see their D score at the end of the experiment, how do I edit the script to prevent them from seeing their D score?

In addition, I am trying to run a Single IAT with practice and actual trials, but the items in the practice trials are different from the items in the actual trials, how do I do edit the script on this?

Thank you!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sher - 3/12/2023
Hello,

I am creating a Single IAT for one of my projects. I do not want my participants to see their D score at the end of the experiment, how do I edit the script to prevent them from seeing their D score?

In addition, I am trying to run a Single IAT with practice and actual trials, but the items in the practice trials are different from the items in the actual trials, how do I do edit the script on this?

Thank you!

> I do not want my participants to see their D score at the end of the experiment, how do I edit the script to prevent them from seeing their D score?

All the IAT scripts available in the library have a value or parameter that you can set to false in order to suppress the display of the D-score to participants. See the respective script's user manual section at the top, where this is explained.

> In addition, I am trying to run a Single IAT with practice and actual trials, but the items in the practice trials are different from the items in the actual trials, how do I do edit the script on this?

You will have to create separate <trial>, <text>, etc. elements for the practice trials then.

Sher
Sher
Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)Associate Member (61 reputation)
Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply and help! 

Does this part of the screenshot mean that the order in which the blocks are presented will be counterbalanced among participants? Meaning that some participants will get the first order of blocks presented and the other group of participants will get the second order of blocks presented? I think this is to control for order effects? This will not affect the computation of the d score for each participant right?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Sher - 3/14/2023
Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply and help! 

Does this part of the screenshot mean that the order in which the blocks are presented will be counterbalanced among participants? Meaning that some participants will get the first order of blocks presented and the other group of participants will get the second order of blocks presented? I think this is to control for order effects? This will not affect the computation of the d score for each participant right?

> Does this part of the screenshot mean that the order in which the blocks are presented will be counterbalanced among participants?

Yes. Participants with an odd group number will receive the compatible blocks first, participants with an even group number will start with the incompatible blocks, i.e. block order is counterbalanced between subjects, which is standard for all IATs to control for order effects.

Order of conditions (compatible first vs incompatible first) does not affect how D is calculated. The D-score, in a nutshell, is always

(mean response latency in incompatible blocks - mean response latency in compatible blocks) / standard deviation of response latency in all blocks

It obviously does not matter which blocks you complete first.

Sher
Sher
Hi Dave, 

Got it, thanks. 
Given that I would like participants to key in the group ID they are assigned to - to counterbalance the order of presentation. I tried editing this option on the platform but there seems to be no option for participant to key in their group ID (im using online experiment on inquisit millisecond). Can you help on this?

Second, how do I remove the "or" number as that page is a practice trial and I wont be using any target stimuli.

Dave
Dave
Sher - 3/14/2023
Hi Dave, 

Got it, thanks. 
Given that I would like participants to key in the group ID they are assigned to - to counterbalance the order of presentation. I tried editing this option on the platform but there seems to be no option for participant to key in their group ID (im using online experiment on inquisit millisecond). Can you help on this?

Second, how do I remove the "or" number as that page is a practice trial and I wont be using any target stimuli.

If you want to pre-assign certain participants to a certain group, select the URL parameter option and then send them a link with their group number in the groupid URL parameter.

> Second, how do I remove the "or" number as that page is a practice trial and I wont be using any target stimuli.

Remove it from the respective <block>'s /bgstim attribute.
Sher
Sher

hi dave thanks, can help me see what is wrong with the script on top?
Sher
Sher
Hi Dave, 

I am still a little unsure about the URL parameter function for participants to indicate their ID, able to explain abit more? Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Sher - 3/15/2023
Hi Dave, 

I am still a little unsure about the URL parameter function for participants to indicate their ID, able to explain abit more? Thanks!

Suppose your experiment's URL is mili2nd.co/abcd. Then give

mili2nd.co/abcd?groupid=1 to the participants you want in condition one (compatible blocks first), and
mili2nd.co/abcd?groupid=2 to the participants you want in condition two (incompatible blocks first).

That's all there is to it.

Sher
Sher
Dave - 3/15/2023
Sher - 3/15/2023
Hi Dave, 

Suppose your experiment's URL is mili2nd.co/abcd. Then give

mili2nd.co/abcd?groupid=1 to the participants you want in condition one (compatible blocks first), and
mili2nd.co/abcd?groupid=2 to the participants you want in condition two (incompatible blocks first).

That's all there is to it.

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply. for the accuracy rate (percentage correct) of single IAT, some scholars noted that those with less than 90 percent correct will be excluded from analyses, can i ask if the threshold can be reduced to 80 percent?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search