How to maintain each subject's unique responses across multiple sessions?

Author
hanjlee
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I am aware of the Inquisit's fucntion to untilize subject's individualized input as testing materials in later task. However, I am wondering if there is a way to maintain that individualized materials across multiple sessions.

More specifically, my subject will be presented 50 words, and each of them will evaluate each word with respect to its emotional valence, and I I want to use 20 most negatively evaluated words repeatedly over the following several sessions.

For example, is it possible to save subject's response in a text file or something and then read it back to the program when the same person logs back in? Each of my subjects will have his own unique word list that will be repeatedly used across multiple sessions. Indeed, here I need some sort of login mechanism which will enable each subject to be recognized when coming back.

If anyone knows if this is possible with Inquisit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Much thanks for your time in advance.

hanjlee

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

This currently not a capability of Inquisit. However, part of the problem can be solved by using and external scripting language: http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic2435.aspx.

~Dave

n.lee.20
n.lee.20
Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)
Hi

I wondered if there had been any developments in Inquisit that would allow this to work.

I am running a multiple session experiment on Inquisit Web. I currently have a task that randomly associates 3 pairs of 2 stimuli.

e.g.,
<list nsat_pic_emo>
/items = ("octagon.tif", "kite.tif", "square.tif")
/ replace = false
</list>

<picture Pic1_emo>
/items = ("<% list.nsat_pic_emo.item(1) %>")
</picture>

My issue is that I would like the pairings made from the initial randomisation to be 'saved' and used for that participant in the following sessions. Is there any way I could save the pairs as a value and then link back to this is future sessions codes? Or is there another way I could do this please?

I have looked at the option of manually counterbalancing but because I have 2 tasks within 1 session the number would be ridiculous.

Many thanks
Naomi

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
n.lee.20 - 10/11/2021
Hi

I wondered if there had been any developments in Inquisit that would allow this to work.

I am running a multiple session experiment on Inquisit Web. I currently have a task that randomly associates 3 pairs of 2 stimuli.

e.g.,
<list nsat_pic_emo>
/items = ("octagon.tif", "kite.tif", "square.tif")
/ replace = false
</list>

<picture Pic1_emo>
/items = ("<% list.nsat_pic_emo.item(1) %>")
</picture>

My issue is that I would like the pairings made from the initial randomisation to be 'saved' and used for that participant in the following sessions. Is there any way I could save the pairs as a value and then link back to this is future sessions codes? Or is there another way I could do this please?

I have looked at the option of manually counterbalancing but because I have 2 tasks within 1 session the number would be ridiculous.

Many thanks
Naomi

> Is there any way I could save the pairs as a value and then link back to this is future sessions codes?

Not automatically.

> Or is there another way I could do this please?

You can (semi-manually) prepare files that encode the random pairings each participant received in the first session and then have the script for the second session read in those pairings per conditional <include> elements.

See e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic31950.aspx and https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic19045.aspx .

n.lee.20
n.lee.20
Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)Associate Member (203 reputation)
Thank you very much!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search