Placing a text box below a picture

Author
Julie Krans
Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)Respected Member (476 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi,

I'm having trouble placing a textbox below a picture.

It works with a likert scale, but when I create a textbox instead I get an error that the trial reference cannot be located. I think this is because there is no stimulusframes in textbox?

Anyway, I need to present the pictures at random and only once, with one picture on the screen at once, and a textbox underneath.

I now have this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** instruction BLUR1 ***
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<page pBLUR>
You will now be presented with several pictures. It is your job to identify what's on the picture.^
Please type your answer in the box below the picture.^
If you cannot identify the picture, please write "don't know".^
^
</page>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
**** BLUR1 ****
----------------------------------------------------------------------
<picture BLUR>
/ items = BLUR
/ position = (50, 40)
</picture>

<item BLUR>
/1 = "airplane.jpg"
/2 = "baby.jpg"
/3 = "blackeye.jpg"
/4 = "bloodface.jpg"
/5 = "boxing.jpg"
/6 = "burning.jpg"
/7 = "carcrash.jpg"
/8 = "cattle.jpg"
/9 = "coma.jpg"
/10 = "earthquake.jpg"
/11 = "firefighter.jpg"
/12 = "gunshot.jpg"
/13 = "hanging.jpg"
/14 = "johndoe.jpg"
/15 = "rape.jpg"
/16 = "rebellion.jpg"
/17 = "running.jpg"
/18 = "thumb.jpg"
/19 = "trains.jpg"
/20 = "tumor.jpg"
/21 = "underwear.jpg"
</item>

<block BLUR1>
/ preinstructions = (pBLUR)
/ trials = [1-21 = BLUR]
</block>

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

There is no <trial> element named "BLUR" in the script you posted, hence the error message.

<block BLUR1>
/ preinstructions = (pBLUR)
/ trials = [1-21 = BLUR]
</block>

You should set up an <openended> element to collect the response and display the pictures.

Regards,

~Dave

jolimie
jolimie
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)

Hi Dave, 

I have the same problem but I keep don't understand how to place a text box below a picture.

Thanks,

Mandy

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

<openended myopenended>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mypicture}
[...]
/ position = (50%, 60%)
</openended>

<picture mypicture>
[...]
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</picture>

Generally, I recommend you work through the various tutorials in the Inquisit documentation before moving on.

Regards,

~Dave

jolimie
jolimie
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)

Thanks Dave,

But I really try since 1 week, then I try your solution and I still don't be able to join a text box with a picture at the same time.

Mandy,

Ps: I'm french ;)

Dave
Dave

Unless you can provide a way more specific description of your problems, I unfortunately don't see how I could help you at this point. In either case, I strongly recommend you (re-)work through the tutorials to get down the basics of Inquisit's syntax. Then read the documentation for the <picture> and <openended> elements and fill in the blanks in the example code I provided earlier.

If you'd rather work with <surveypage>s, first work through the "Demographic Survey" tutorial. Then see the documentation for <surveypage>, its /questions attribute, the <textbox> and the <image> element.

Regards,

~Dave

jolimie
jolimie

I want to have the same textbox but with different pictures. The subjects will have a picture an then will have to answer to the same question in the box. I have 16 pictures.

<picture Number>

/1 = "8.jpg"

/2 = "-14.jpg"

/3 = "52.jpg"

/4 = "-43.jpg"

/5 = "77.jpg"

/6 = "10.jpg"

/7 = "-8.jpg"

/8 = "-21.jpg"

/9 = "57.jpg"

/10 ="22.jpg"

/11= "62.jpg"

/12= "-50.jpg"

/13= "33.jpg"

/14= "-31.jpg"

/15= "-68.jpg"

/16= "-75.jpg"

</picture>

<textbox magnitude>

/ caption = "Magnitude numérique"

/ mask = positiveinteger

/ range = (7, 110)

</textbox>

Dave
Dave

#1: Your definition / syntax for the <picture> element is wrong. You'll find correct examples in the respective documentation topics and tutorials.

#2: For a simple setup such as this one, use <openended> as outlined previously, not <textbox>. If, for whatever reason, you *must* use <textbox>, you'll have to define <surveypage> elements to *display* the <textbox> and picture. For that see the survey tutorial mentioned earlier. Use the <surveypage> element's /questions attribute to display an <image> or use its /stimulusframes attribute to display a <picture> element.

jolimie
jolimie

Hi,

This is really not simple for me. I read the part of openenden , item, picture, in the introduction. I tried the tutorials, and read some "how to". I can present the picture alone, and the text box alone but not together.

Mandy

Dave
Dave

I tried the tutorials

I recommend you repeat that exercise. Don't just read or skim them -- *do* them., i.e., write the actual code by following the instructions closely. You'll see it's *really* simple:

<block MyBlock>
/ trials = [1-16=TypeNumber]
</block>

<openended TypeNumber>
/ stimulusframes = [1=NumberPicture]
/ position = (50%, 70%)
</openended>

<picture NumberPicture>
/ items = NumberItems
/ select = noreplace
/ position = (50%, 30%)
</picture>