Length of time on htmlpage

Author
mbo
Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to run a webexperiment where I'm running into problrms with the size of the video stimulus that I want to employ. We've tried everything to get the file size down, and although it's able to run, the time for the study to load is really prohibitive.

In thinking of possible work-arounds, one thing that occured to me was for us to load the videos in a player that we house on our own server, and then just put those into an htmlpage. I think this would definitely solve the problem in terms of file size and loading.

BUT, it's important that the participants don't just breeze through the video without watching it. In other words, I don't want them to be able to click forward or continue until the video is completed.

I *think* I can use htmlpages as instructions only, and if I'm right about this, I'm not so sure how to accomplish this goal.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

In thinking of possible work-arounds, one thing that occured to me was for us to load the videos in a player that we house on our own server, and then just put those into an htmlpage. I think this would definitely solve the problem in terms of file size and loading.

Not necessarily. The data *still* has to be transferred to the client computers. In your scenario, this will happen *while* the exp is running, not beforehand, which simply opens the door for different issues (e.g. network timeouts, slow client connections, etc.).

I *think* I can use htmlpages as instructions only, and if I'm right about this, I'm not so sure how to accomplish this goal.

You think right.

BUT, it's important that the participants don't just breeze through the video without watching it. In other words, I don't want them to be able to click forward or continue until the video is completed.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v3/html/language/attributes/wait.htm

Regards,

~Dave

mbo
mbo
Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)

Thanks Dave.

I'm actually using the "include" command to put together various parts of the experiment. So there's an "instruct" part that pertains to everything. If I put a "wait" on the <instruct>, will it apply to all instructions throughout the study?

Right now I was including the htmlpage element as part of a preinstruction. Is it possible to put a wait on that as well? Just not seeing it yet.

Thanks!

Mary

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

<instruct>
/ wait = 0
</instruct>

<block b1>
/ preinstructions = (p1)
</block>

<block b2>
/ onblockbegin = [instruct.wait=5000]
/ preinstructions = (p2)
</block>

<page p1>
no wait
</page>

<page p2>
wait 5 secs
</page>

<expt>
/ blocks = [1=b1; 2=b2]
</expt>

Regards,

~Dave

mbo
mbo

Dave,

You are beautiful!!

Best,

Mary

LibbyLu43
LibbyLu43
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)

Hey Dave, for my mac videos, we made them as small as possible without sacrificing quality too much. It's still taking my mac about 5 or 6 minutes to load though which is quite a lot. I'm pretty sure that as of now, the whole video loads, and once that's happened it starts to play. Is there any way to modify the script so that the video plays as it's loading (similar to how it works on youtube)?

Or, do you have any other suggestions on how to get around this 5-6 minute video loading time?

Thanks!

Libby

Dave
Dave

Is there any way to modify the script so that the video plays as it's loading (similar to how it works on youtube)?

No, that's not currently possible. While such an option may become available at some point, it would have to be used with utter caution: Ever had a Youtube video stutter or freeze? As long as you are watching cute kittens for comic relief, that may not matter much. But if you are using a video for, say, mood induction in a behavioral experiment, you certainly don't want that to happen. And the only way to make sure is to fully download all stimuli (including video) prior to starting the experiment.

That said, we are aware of sometimes slow load times and you can expect things to improve somewhat in future releases.

For the time being, the only option to display streaming videos would be to host them yourself on some server and have Inquisit display the html page with the embedded video.

Max
Max
Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)
Hey Dave,
I would like to revive this topic. Due to the limited formatting options for the page element, we have to use the htmlpage element. We tried the script you offered here in this thread. Unfortunately, the result is not as intended. The htmlpage will not be displayed for a minimum of 5 seconds but will load delayed by 5 seconds. Any suggestions?

<instruct>
/ wait = 0
</instruct>

<block b1>
/ preinstructions = (website1)
</block>

<block b2>
/ onblockbegin = [instruct.wait=5000]
/ preinstructions = (website2)
</block>

<htmlpage website1>
/ file = "website1.htm"
</htmlpage>

<htmlpage website2>
/ file = "website2.htm"
</htmlpage>

<expt>
/ blocks = [1=b1; 2=b2]
</expt>

ATB, Max

Attachments
website1+2.zip (577 views, 1.00 KB)
iqx+websites.zip (577 views, 1.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Works as expected for me in Inquisit 4.0.5.0. So, no, I don't have any suggestions other than making sure your Inquisit version is up to date.

Max
Max
Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)
Okay, then it seems like we have found a bug or I misunderstood the wait attribute.
Let me outline the process step by step:
1. Starting the script
2. Website 1 appears
[Hitting ENTER]
3. Website 1 disappears
[5 seconds waiting time with a white screen]
4. Website 2 appears
[hitting ENTER directly when Website 2 appears]
5. Website 2 disappears without waiting time

Here is my machine information (if it helps):
Version: 4.0.5.0 64bit (build 2444)
Build Date: Mar 13 2014