Dot Probe

Author
So_Leonie
Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, 

I'm using the Dot Probe task on Inquisit 6. I'd like to add an HTML page at a few points during the task that will ask the user a question. However, being an Inquisit beginner, I would need some advice on how and in which section I can add the HTML page to the script.

Thanks a lot!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

I'm using the Dot Probe task on Inquisit 6. I'd like to add an HTML page at a few points during the task that will ask the user a question. However, being an Inquisit beginner, I would need some advice on how and in which section I can add the HTML page to the script.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry, your description is too vague to provide any concrete guidance. For starters, it's not clear what "at a few points during the task" is supposed to mean. Second, a HTML page is not suitable for "asking the user a question" assuming that you want the participant to actually provide a response to said question and record that answer. So, what kind of question do you want to ask and what's the format supposed to be? A text box? A selection from a dropdown? Something else?

Finally, which dot probe? There isn't a single one, there are multiple: https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/dotprobe

You ought to say which one of those you are working with.

Edited Last Year by Dave
So_Leonie
So_Leonie
Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)Associate Member (97 reputation)
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Sorry, your description is too vague to provide any concrete guidance. For starters, it's not clear what "at a few points during the task" is supposed to mean. Second, a HTML page is not suitable for "asking the user a question" assuming that you want the participant to actually provide a response to said question and record that answer. So, what kind of question do you want to ask and what's the format supposed to be? A text box? A selection from a dropdown? Something else?

Finally, which dot probe? There isn't a single one, there are multiple: https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/dotprobe

Hi Dave,

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I'd like the question to appear 4 times during the task. The task is divided into 80 trials, so once after 20 trials, once after 40, once after 60 and once at the very end.
For the question type, I'd like to ask a question and the user must answer on a scale from 0% to 100%, on a visual scale if possible, but this could be a selection from a dropdown.
Finally, I use the "Alcohol Dot Probe" task.

Thank you.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

I'd like the question to appear 4 times during the task. The task is divided into 80 trials, so once after 20 trials, once after 40, once after 60 and once at the very end.
For the question type, I'd like to ask a question and the user must answer on a scale from 0% to 100%, on a visual scale if possible, but this could be a selection from a dropdown.

Thank you.

For the question / visual scale, add a <slidertrial> to the script:

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/elements/slidertrial.htm

<slidertrial questiontrial>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    values.category = "question";
]
/ stimulusframes = [1=clearscreen, question]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ labels = ("0%", "100%")
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
/ posttrialpause = parameters.iti
</slidertrial>

<text question>
/ items = ("Your question goes here")
</text>

From <trial Alcohol> and <trial Filler>, /branch to the slidertrial you added whenever values.trialcount is a multiple of 20.

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    if (mod(values.trialcount, 20) == 0) {
        return slidertrial.questiontrial;
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

That's all there is to it.

So_Leonie
So_Leonie
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/elements/slidertrial.htm

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

From <trial Alcohol> and <trial Filler>, /branch to the slidertrial you added whenever values.trialcount is a multiple of 20.

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Great, it works!
Thanks a lot.
So_Leonie
So_Leonie
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I want to do exactly the same thing (add a question/visual scale from 0 to 100%, 10 times during each task), but with the tasks "The Attentional Network Task as originally developed by Fan et al (2002)" and "the Approach Avoidance Task (joystick version)". I tried to modify the script so that it works, but I have not managed.

Is it complicated for you to give me the scripts for these two tasks?

Thank you very much!
Dave
Dave
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I want to do exactly the same thing (add a question/visual scale from 0 to 100%, 10 times during each task), but with the tasks "The Attentional Network Task as originally developed by Fan et al (2002)" and "the Approach Avoidance Task (joystick version)". I tried to modify the script so that it works, but I have not managed.

Thank you very much!

You'll need to be more specific re. what exactly you did, then I can tell you what you did wrong.
So_Leonie
So_Leonie
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

You'll need to be more specific re. what exactly you did, then I can tell you what you did wrong.

I used the codes you provided above, so the script related to the question, and the /branch for the trial part by changing the multiple. I didn't do anything else differently.

Thanks.
Dave
Dave
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

I used the codes you provided above, so the script related to the question, and the /branch for the trial part by changing the multiple. I didn't do anything else differently.

Thanks.

You cannot paste code that applies to one script into another, entirely different script and expect that to work. You need to first understand how that other script works and then make changes applicable to how that other script works. There's a user manual and there are comments throughout each script that explain the basic trial flow etc.

Where did you put the /branch? On what did you base the multiple? The values.trialcount variable exists in the dot probe script, it does not exist in every other script.

Dave
Dave
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

Thanks.

You cannot paste code that applies to one script into another, entirely different script and expect that to work. You need to first understand how that other script works and then make changes applicable to how that other script works. There's a user manual and there are comments throughout each script that explain the basic trial flow etc.

Where did you put the /branch? On what did you base the multiple? The values.trialcount variable exists in the dot probe script, it does not exist in every other script.

So, let's start with the ANT.

You say " I want to [...] add a question/visual scale from 0 to 100%, 10 times during [...] task."

What does 10 times mean here? The ANT has a practice block, which consists of 24 rounds. It has a test block, which consists of 96 rounds. The task runs 3 instances of said test block, so  there are a total of 288 test rounds.

Does the "10 times" include the practice rounds or are you only talking about the test rounds?

The basic trial flow (this is the same for each cue condition -- nocue, centercue, doublecue, or spatialcue) is this (note that this is all explained in the comments throughout the script's  code):

cue trial -> cue trial2 -> ITI trial for the test rounds (so e.g. trial.nocue -> trial.nocue2 -> trial.iti).

For the practice rounds it's

cue trial -> cue trial 2 -> practice feedback trial -> ITI trial (so e.g. trial.centercue -> trial.centercue2 -> trial.practice_feedback -> trial.iti).

Where in that sequence do you want to go to your added scale trial?

For the test rounds: Before the ITI trial? After the ITI trial?

For the practice rounds, if at all: Before the feedback trial? After the feedback trial? After the ITI trial?

Edited Last Year by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search