Analyzing Stroop Data??

Author
hilary
Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

hello again!

is there any sort of script available for analyzing Stroop with Speech Recognition data? the following is an example of one trial of data output. i'm not sure if inquisit is supposed to be recording the avg response latency for each block (stroop vs. naming). i see that participants are getting a summary page of % correct and avg response latency however these numbers are not appearing in my recorded data. isn't the avg response latency what i need to compare the blocks and therefore compare conditions?

date time subj build blocknum trialnum blockcode trialcode pretrialpause posttrialpause windowcenter
 .....                                     1               2         stroop       black 0 250 0 0 0 0 black 1 985 0 3 BLUE 50pct 50pct 0
 .....                                     2               2        naming    nred 0 250 0 0 0 0 BLACK 1 945 0 4 BLACK 50pct 50pct 0

*the bolded parts are the parts i don't understand.

the data is also filled with additional headers that are all empty:
trialduration, trialtimeout, blocktimecut, response, correctlatencywindow, stimulusnumber1, stimulusitem1, stimulusvpos1, stimulushpos1, stimulusonset1
are they supposed to be?

THANK YOU :)
hilary

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

I suggest you open the *.dat file with Microsoft Excel or any other spreadsheet application (e.g. OpenOffice Calc). Do *not* try to make sense of datafiles when viewing them in a text editor, the formatting will be all messed up. Once you've done so, it will be much clearer which value belongs to which column -- and I doubt that there'll be empty headers in the file. Finally, to make sense of what the various variables mean, you may refer to the documentation on Inquisit's default data recording scheme.

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave

hilary
hilary
Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)

hi dave,
thanks for the tip, the data made much more sense when opened in an excel file. however, i'm still wondering about the analysis as inquisit does not record (that i see) the avg response latency per block. isn't this what i need to compare between blocks to find the difference and subsequent difference between conditions? i guess i could do it through spss, however it seems silly that the participants see their score but after i don't have access to it for analysis. any thoughts? thanks again for all your help :)
hilary

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

Hi Hilary,

however, i'm still wondering about the analysis as inquisit does not record (that i see) the avg response latency per block. isn't this what i need to compare between blocks to find the difference and subsequent difference between conditions?

Since I don't know anything about your particular experimental design and research questions, I can't answer that. However, when dealing with Stroop effects you're usually not looking for differences in average latency between blocks, but rather for differences in average latency between certain types of trials. Subjects are expected to respond slower on trials that require an incongruent response (e.g. GREEN; the required answer being RED) as opposed to trials that require a congruent response (e.g. BLUE; the require answer being BLUE). Figuring out which data you need to compare is up to you, I guess. Once you're clear about that, you may even extend your script to compute and record the required condition means, etc., although it might be easier to do this through a stats package like SPSS.

thanks again for all your help :)

You're welcome.

~Dave

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)

Hilary,

I'll add that if your script is displaying the average latencies that Dave mentioned to the participants, it would very easy to have those scores recorded to the data file as well. If you attach your script to this thread, I can take a look at doing this. This is probably a good thing to include in our Stroop samples anyway.

-Sean

Tags
hilary
hilary

hi dave,
by blocks i meant comparing the congruent and incongruent trials :) and you're right i could probably do it via SPSS but it just seems unnecessary if inquisit has it already calculated. thanks again!
hilary

hilary
hilary

hi sean
that would be great! the script i'm using is pretty much the template except for some changes in the instructions. thanks again!
hilary

Attachments
stroop script.doc (959 views, 37.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search